Westcoast Naturals Sponsored Athlete Harold Morioka
After wearing out his knees training six days a week and breaking 100 Canadian records throughout the years, Harold Morioka, a world championship runner, turned to Westcoast Naturals’® Joint-Q for help. One open heart surgery and five knee operations later Harold Morioka was back on the track, age 69, to compete in the 2013 Brazil World Championships.
At age six, Morioka and his family relocated from the Japanese internment camp where he was born, to a farm in Surrey, British Columbia. Fast forward long days working on the farm and an abundance of fresh, healthy food to twenty years later. It wasn’t until Morioka was coaching secondary track in his late twenties, when he realized he could outrun even his fastest students. At age 29, Morioka entered a 100 metre race at the Simon Fraser University track meet – and finished second.
Within a span of twenty-eight years, Harold Morioka has set over 100 individual Canadian records, twenty-two of which are still standing today. He is the only athlete in the world to break world records for all distances from 60m to 800m.
As can be expected, his body began to reflect his impressive athletic achievements. His knees began to show the wear and tear of hard, dedicated training. In 1997, Harold Morioka began taking Joint-Q. This Westcoast Naturals joint and bone supplement is a factor in the building of healthy cartilage. “Joint-Q keeps me going,” explains Morioka.
Westcoast Naturals is proud to sponsor Harold Morioka, an inspirational Canadian athlete and motivational leader of the west coast community.
Harold Morioka Achievements
- Named BC Athletics “Masters Athlete of the Year” 15 times. (Athletics only)
- Named Sport BC’s “Masters Athlete of the Year” 3 times. (Includes all BC Sports)
- Named Sport BC’s “Overall Athlete of the Year” in 1989. The only time in BC history that a Masters athlete was named BC’s Athlete of the Year.
- The only person in history to break world records from the 60m to 800m
- Broke WORLD RECORDS in: 60m, 200m, 400m and 800m.
- Broke WORLD RECORDS in the M45, M50, M55 and M60 age groups.
- Broke 14 WORLD RECORDS including the M60 4x400m relay.
- (only 2 existing world records in the M60 400m and 800m)
Performances considered amongst best are:
- M50 60m 7.37 WR
- M45 100m 11.11
- M50 200m 23.3 (hand = 23.54e)
- M60 200m 25.09 WR indoors
- M51 400m 51.70 WR
- M60 400m 54.46 WR indoors
- M50 800m 2:01.26
- M60 800m 2:14.42 WR indoors (2:12:33 outdoors)
- Broke Canadian individual records over 100 times.
- Broke Canadian records in the 60m,100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 300m Hurdles and 400m Hurdles.
- Broke Canadian Outdoor records in 100m, 200m and 400m in each of the M40, M45, M50, M55 and M60 age groups.
- Broke Canadian Outdoor records in the Intermediate hurdles (400m) in the M45, M50 and M55 age groups.
- Broke Canadian Outdoor record in the Intermediate hurdles (300m) in the M60 age group.
- Broke Canadian Outdoor records in the 800m in the M50, M55 and M60 age groups.
Won GOLD MEDALS at the WAVA CHAMPIONSHIPS in:
- Eugene (1989)
- Turku (1991)
- Miyazaki (1993)
- Gateshead (1999)
- Carolina (2003)